HFC To HFO Replacement Guide
Do you know that global adoption of Honeywell's breakthrough Solstice® low-GWP refrigerants, blowing agents and aerosols has avoided potential release of the equivalent of more than 250 million metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
If you’re also planning to switch to lower GWP alternatives for your stationary refrigeration applications, but not sure which hydrofluoroolefin (HFO) is best suited for your needs, we are there to help. Below you will find answers to your questions like what the best HFO replacement options for various Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) are, which are the applications these HFOs are best suited for…and many more.
Topics you’ll find on this page
Replacement options for R-404A, R-507 and R-22
Solstice N40 (R-448A)
Solstice N40 (R-448A) is a nonflammable, reduced-GWP HFO blend for new supermarkets or R-404A retrofits, especially low- and medium-temp refrigeration. It has a GWP of 1273 and provides 68% GWP reduction compared to R404A.
Features and benefits
- Solstice N40 (R-448A) is the lowest GWP, A1 replacement for R-404A and R-507 available today - GWP of 1273 is 68% lower than R-404A
- Solstice N40 (R-448A) demonstrates a 5-16% percent lower energy consumption in medium-temperature refrigeration compared with R-404A
- Switching to Solstice N40 (R448A) very simple and easy. It’s a near drop-in replacement for R-404A and R-507, so you don’t have to worry about a long learning curve
- Approved for use with major compressor manufacturers
- U.S. EPA SNAP-listed and UL listed
Solstice® L40X (R-455A)
Solstice L40X (R-455A) is a zeotropic blend, mildly flammable refrigerant (A2L) designed to serve as an alternative for low, medium, and high-temperature applications in new systems. Solstice L40X (R-455A) is also a potential match for other applications such as chillers, heat pumps, condensing units, waterloop system or transport refrigeration
Solstice L40X (R-455A) has GWP of only 146, which makes ideal for it a long-term usage/application. It provides:
- Best in-class energy performance and lowest GWP vs. any retrofit refrigerant for R22, R404A, R507
- 5-15% energy efficiency gain vs. 404 system
- +Acceptable discharge temperature extending operating envelope
- 30 % lower mass flow compared to R-404A/R-507 for more compact systems
Solstice N71 (R-471A)
Solstice® N71 (R-471A) is Honeywell’s newest non-ozone depleting, non-flammable, HFO based refrigerant, which helps our customers lower their carbon footprint and improve energy efficiency without sacrificing end-product performance. It’s the only < 150 GWP, non-flammable HFO refrigerant blend for new equipment in:
- Industrial Process Refrigeration
- Ice Rinks
- Convenience & Drug Stores
Solstice N71 (R-471A) is over 30% more energy efficient as compared to CO2, helping you reduce your overall CO2 footprint (scope 1 and scope 2 emissions) and conserve natural resources to create a healthier living environment for people everywhere.
Replacement options for R-134A
Solstice N15 (R-515B)
Solstice® N15 (R-515B), is A1 nonflammable and low-global-warming potential (LGWP) refrigerant replacement for R-134a for use in chillers and heat pumps.
As a non-flammable R-134a replacement, Solstice N15 (R-515B) can be used immediately by chiller and heat pump manufacturers where safety standards and buildings codes limit the use of A2L and A3 refrigerants. Its similar product design to 1234ze will provide original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) with a long-term solution that is flexible for both A1 and A2L refrigerants.
Features and benefits
- Efficiency comparable to R-134a
- Zero glide
- Lower discharge temperature compared to R-134a
- Can be used in equipment designed for R-1234ze
- Higher critical temperature compared to R-134a
- Low operating pressures
Solstice ze (HFO-1234ze)
Honeywell Solstice® ze refrigerant (HFO-1234ze) is the best medium pressure, low GWP refrigerant on the market when considering the balance of all properties. It is an energy-efficient alternative to traditional refrigerants in different medium temperature uses and has been selected by a number of equipment manufacturers for applications with a capacity range from several kW to 20MW and charges varying from 300g to 13mT:
- Air-cooled and water-cooled chillers
- District heating and cooling
- Heat pumps
- Vending machines
- Beverage dispensers
- Air dryers
- CO2 cascade systems
Replacement options for R-123
Solstice zd is a EU REACH-registered and U.S. SNAP-listed alternative to R-123 and R-245fa, designed to make a significant contribution to reductions in global warming with its GWP=1.
Solstice zd can provide higher efficiency when compared to R-245fa in the renewable heat recovery market and in the waste recovery market in both mobile and stationary applications. Solstice zd, due to its higher capacity with efficiency similar to R-123, is a good replacement in centrifugal chillers, organic rankine cycle and high-temperature heat pumps.